Happiness is a state of mind or feeling such as contentment, satisfaction, pleasure, or joy. It is a feeling of inner peace and satisfaction. It is usually experienced when there are no worries, fears or obsessing thoughts, and this usually happens, when we do something we love to do or when we get, win, gain or achieve something that we value. It seems to be the outcome of positive events, but it actually comes from the inside, triggered by outer events.
Happiness in a person co-relates very well with religious involvement, parenthood, marital status, age, income and proximity to other happy people.
The most profound sense of happiness is experienced through the meaningful life, achieved if one exercises one's unique strengths and virtues in a purpose greater than one's own immediate goals.
Measure of happiness is an aggregate of self-esteem, sense of purpose, social interest and kindness , sense of humor and aesthetic appreciation.
For most people happiness seems fleeting, because they let changing outer circumstances affect it. One of the best ways to keep it, is by gaining inner peace through daily meditation. As the mind becomes more peaceful, it becomes easier to choose the happiness habit.
Daily life can be made happier. It is a matter of choice. It is our attitude that makes us feel happy or unhappy. It is true, we meet all kinds of situations during the day, and some of them may not be conducive to happiness. We can choose to keep thinking about the unhappy events or we can choose not to think about them, and instead, relish the happy moments. All of us constantly go through various situations and circumstances, but we do not have to let them influence our reactions and feelings.
If we let outer events influence our moods, we become their slaves. We lose our freedom. We let our happiness be determined by outer forces. On the other hand, we can free ourselves from outer influences. We can choose to be happy, and we can do a lot to add happiness to our lives.
Everyone craves to be happy and the truth of the matter is that happiness, like anything else in life, needs to be nurtured. You can add more happiness and light to your life, by doing some small, simple acts everyday. Even if you are under pressure and strain, or if you have problems and difficulties, there are many little, and sometimes not so significant actions that can make you feel happy. This happiness might not be strong and deep, and often is of short duration, but it certainly can improve the way you feel.
Below I am listing a few suggestions for bringing small moments of happiness into your daily life. With some creative thinking one can find more ideas, which might be more suitable to your life and circumstances.
1. Wake up 10 minutes earlier in the morning, and go stand by the window or go out to the yard or garden, if you have one. Look around you, and enjoy the quietness and splendor of the morning.
2. Eat something you enjoy eating.
3. Call up a friend you like, which you haven’t talked with for a long time.
4. Buy yourself flowers or books or magazine.
5. Have a nap in the afternoon
6. Do something you like doing, but which you usually don’t have the time to do.
7. Close your eyes and rest your body and mind, just for a few moments, even when you are very busy.
8. Take a break and go out to walk, even if it is only for ten minutes.
9. Spend a few minutes each day thinking about the things that make you happy. These few minutes will give you the opportunity to focus on the positive things in your life and will lead you to continued happiness.
10. It’s also important to take some time each day to do something nice for yourself. Whether you treat yourself to lunch, take a long, relaxing bath or simply spend a few extra minutes on your appearance you will be subconsciously putting yourself in a better mood.
11. Finding the humor in situations can also lead to happiness. While there are times that require you to be serious, when it is appropriate, find a way to make light of a situation that would otherwise make you unhappy.
12. Maintaining your health is another way to achieve happiness.
13. Endeavor to change the way you look at things. Always look at the bright side. The mind may drag you to think about negativity and difficulties. Don't let it. Look at the good and positive side of every situation.
14. Listen to relaxing, uplifting music.
15. Watch funny comedies that make you laugh.
16. Each day, devote some time to reading a few pages of an inspiring book or article.
17. Always look at what you have done and not at what you haven't. Sometimes you may begin the day with the desire to accomplish several objectives. At the end of the day you might feel frustrated and unhappy, because you haven't been able to do all of those things. Look at what you have done, not at what you have not been able to do and feel happy about it.
18. Each day do at least one act to make others happy. This can be a kind word, helping your colleagues, stopping your car at the crossroad to let people cross, giving your seat in a bus to someone else, or giving a small present to someone you love. The possibilities are infinite. When you make someone happy, you become happy, and then people try to make you happy.
19. Engage yourself in some Social service eg help in orphanage , help poor and needy etc
20. Do not envy people who are happy. On the contrary, be happy for their happiness. Surround yourself with such people.
21. Do your best to stay detached, when things do not proceed as intended and desired. Detachment will help you stay calm and control your moods and reactions. Detachment is not indifference. It is the acceptance of the good and the bad and staying balanced. Detachment has much to do with inner peace, and inner peace is conducive to happiness.
22. Finally Smile more often.
23. And Always expect happiness.
Happiness is hard to define but most people are aware of whether they are happy or not. Many people believe that happiness is a form of luck and that some people are destined to be happy while others are destined to be unhappy. Shun this thought and work towards achieving Happiness in Life.