Social wellness refers to the relationships and connections we have with others. It also refers to our capability to build and maintain relationships, manage our feelings and emotions and develop intimacy with family and friends.
Social wellness is necessary for a full and complete life . Our relationships are important because that is where we find our support during tough times as well as a place to express our joys and sorrows. Social wellness involves building good , healthy and supportive relationships and maintaining a general connection with the society around us. It is also about balancing work life and social life.
We need to be honest and share our real feelings in these relationships. This helps in learning a lot. Sometimes this becomes a means where one shows off his / her status rather than building meaningful relationship and this is something that should be totally avoided.
This is an outer – oriented wellness and invites a set of attitudes and behaviors reflecting a concern for others. The basic premise of social wellness is -
o It is better to contribute to the common welfare of our community than to think only of ourselves.
o It is better to live in harmony with others and our environment than to live in conflict with them.
Listed below are the key wellness values :-
· A commitment to the common moral values like altruism, integrity, honesty, truthfulness and responsibility.
· Belief in an open, pluralistic and democratic society.
· Resistance to discrimination.
· Support for the disadvantaged and the handicapped in order that they might best help themselves.
· Respect for the environment and a desire to safeguard other species.
· Respect for the right to privacy.
· A preference for optimism over pessimism.
· Positive interaction with others
· Develop and build friendships
· Practice empathy
· Care for others
No man is an island unto himself, which explains why people feel the need to communicate, interact and form strong relationships with other people. With social wellness, a person will have the capability to socialize, be confident and function normally with other people. The lack of social wellness often leads to anti-social behavior and causes inability to adjust in social surroundings.
The best way to improve Social wellness is to practice Self Disclosure